Say that 5 times fast.
As I mentioned earlier, Relief Society has NOT been the easiest part of graduating. I do, however, feel the need to follow up on my previous post and say that it isn't all that bad. As humans, we exaggerate, over dramatize, etc. And I do this repeatedly on my blog, unfortunately when I feel angry or sad about something.
ANYWAY.
Relief Society is great, but it's hard. Enough said.
BUT. I've had an experience over the past week that has been pretty cool.
One of the people I visit teach just had a new baby boy. As we've been teaching this "sister" we've been asking if we can help with anything - just like any good "sister" would do. ((I sound like I'm mocking this term...but it's the only thing I can think of! Bear with me.))
When I found out that she had the baby, it was almost instinctive for me to grab my phone, text my visiting teaching companion, and see what I needed to do to help. The next night I provided dessert to go with their dinner and made a sign up sheet to pass around so other ladies could help out the family.
Tonight, another sister was bringing the family supper, but was unable to make it up the stairs. Again, instinctively, I stopped what I was doing to help.
I felt kind of weird that this service came instinctively. I thought that maybe I'd finally succumbed to a world of casseroles, quilting, and soup. But then I realized that it wasn't it at all.
Instincts are human. Humans are good. We have this natural desire to do good ((hint, hint)). When we find an opportunity to serve, we should take it. However, I firmly believe that everyone has a..."service niche" if you will. It is crucial that we all find the service that comes naturally to us. Serving is a like a talent. If you had a horrible voice, you wouldn't be a singer. If you hate to bake, don't offer to take a meal to a family!
HOWEVER
Do not shy away from the opportunity to stretch yourself! If you're just bad at baking, LEARN to do it!
Also. Whoever said that when you feel sad you should serve, was totally right. And I hate to admit that. But as things have been getting crazy and I've felt horrible, doing these small things of service were amazing. They kept my hands busy, got my mind off of things, and I was able to make someone happy, which in turn made me happy.
So. Just sayin.
No comments:
Post a Comment