Monday, October 21, 2013

Don't Judge a Girl by her Groceries

It was never my intention to blog twice in one day...but the post I just posted was supposed to go up last night and...it obviously didn't. BUT today I had an experience and my mind went wild and here we are.

A few months ago, I asked a good friend of mine to share with me some of her tips and tricks for grocery shopping. Back home, I tended her children quite often and felt like I was pretty familiar with her kitchen. Every time I needed to feed the children, I could always reach into the fridge, pull out some things and have a healthy meal. And yet I could always find a treat. It seemed like the perfect balance and I wanted that for my life.
When I asked her for her advice, she laughed and said that she just sort of bought stuff and hoped that things worked out. When she was in college, she explained that she had come home from grocery shopping one day and was locked out of her apartment. She waited in a friend's apartment and she gawked at her groceries. In her bags were licorice, cookies, chocolate milk, all that fun stuff. "These are your groceries??" the friend asked.
"I just buy what sounds good!" was her response.
Today, I had a semi-similar experience. I just got home from fall break and just as I was driving into Cache Valley, my mom called me and explained that I had left the three bags I'd stuffed full of food at home. I frantically searched for someone in Orem who hadn't left yet. Thankfully I found a friend who could take them up. Now this girl is maybe the healthiest person I know. She's kind of perfect when it comes to that. Let's be honest. Always making her own food, no preservatives, fruits and veggies, pretty much the girl that everyone wishes they'd be like some day.
It wasn't until I picked up my groceries from her today that I got embarrassed. My bags were full of cake mixes, chocolate chips, Top Ramen, and a whole bunch of canned food. As I was driving away I started to laugh to myself and remembered my friend's experience.
Nobody should care what I eat! We label people enough, let's not add groceries to the list! I will gladly pronounce my grocery bag. Look in my pantry all you want-I have nothing to hide. But it shouldn't matter. You eat your food and I'll eat mine.
Don't judge a girl by her groceries. Even if you are what  you eat. ;)
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment