Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mulan is probably pretty ticked.

With the release of the popular new Disney movie, Frozen, social media has blown up with quotes, memes, gifs, etc. Many of you know my feelings about above mentioned movie. (Thought it was pretty good, but don't think it was anything truly monumental. That's a different story.)
ANYWAY.
Among the many memes, I found several similar to this:


Pardon the language. 

I just feel the need to point out that Frozen isn't actually the first Disney princess movie that proves that you don't need a man to save you. 

Mulan: She literally saved all of China. Are you kidding me??? She definitely didn't need a man to save her.

Belle: Gave up her life so that her father could live. She did NOT fall in love with someone she just met. Obviously. That girl saved lives. Minus Gaston's....

Cinderella: Come ON! Give her a break! Of course she fell in love with the first man she met! She was practically a slave for her whole life! #youwouldto

Tiana: Worked her BUTT off to get what she wanted and would have gotten it even if Prince Naveen hadn't showed up. In fact, I'm pretty sure she saved Prince Naveen. Jokes on you. 

Pocahontas: Saved John Smith at the expense of her own heart.

And for the sake of being politically Disney correct, Princess Leia just kicks butt.  

Now, I will admit that Disney does have it's string of hopeless princesses. Jasmine, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Ariel, and Meg were all saved by men. But that didn't mean that their lives were sunshine and roses either!

And if my memory serves me correctly...Kristoff kind of plays a huge role in saving Anna.

So Frozen isn't actually the first movie to teach girls that they don't need a man to save them. In fact, it doesn't actually teach girls that at all!

I'm all for women's rights and women power and all that jazz, but maybe we shouldn't press the fact that women are better than men, because we're not! How about we all just work together as an equal team? That sounds like a solid idea to me. Just sayin.
May your Disney movies be merry and bright.

Edit: My roommate just found this

1 comment:

  1. Haha I love your attitude Emily! I definitely feel the same way about men and women being equal. I miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete