This is my advice to the average college freshman. I realize this is a little late...but I feel like it wouldn't hurt to share!
1) College is exactly like High School on steroids. More people, more school, more freedom, more homework, more tests, more drama, more fun.
2) Everyone is different. Not everyone is going to have the same "first year" college experience that you have! This was so hard for me to understand. I had so many people telling me what my first year was going to be like and when things didn't happen like that, I was so confused. Just realize that this year is for YOU. You're here to figure things out about yourself and your life. I had a great first year, but I didn't really get it all figured out until 3 months before the year was over. So just take your time, be yourself, and be different.
3) Be involved. There are SO many ways to be involved, find the way that works best for you. I love to sing and so I chose to audition for a choir through the LDS Institute. This is where I made most of my friends and where I spent most of my time. All campuses provide a wide variety of clubs and activities. If that doesn't really sound like your thing, try something else! Get a job or find something in the community. It just really helps to have a smaller group of people to interact with.
4) Don't shop at Walmart. Hahah jk. You can shop wherever you want. But here at USU, we have TWO Walmarts in the area! So pretty much that's where everyone shops. Halfway through the year, I got a job at Macey's and started doing my grocery shopping there. I saved SO much money! Part of this is because I was simply more familiar with Macey's and their items and their sales. I planned better when I went there and I ate healthier too. Find stores that you are familiar with and don't be afraid to take some time to make grocery lists or compare prices.
5) Make Institute a Priority. I can't believe I'm saying this because I feel like it is contradictory to my beliefs as a freshman. But seriously, Institute is crazy important. It's a place to meet people who share your beliefs and values. It's a place to join in activities that you know will be good, clean fun. PLUS it is a great place to be edified by the spirit. To take you out of the world and the university and just feel good. To learn more about institute or to register for classes, click here.
6) Develop good relationships with your roommates. I definitely got SUPER lucky with my roommates my freshman year. Our personalities meshed well and we just had lots of fun together. We didn't always do everything together, but one of my favorite things was we watched "The Bachelor" together on Monday nights. Just a little, simple thing that we could all talk and laugh about once a week.
So that's about it! Some lame advice from me. Do with it what you will. :)
I lurrrrrv your blog.
ReplyDeleteAnd you.
The end.