Baby don't hurt me! Don't hurt me! No more!....You all thought it, so I said it.
Tonight I went and saw The Fault in Our Stars with my homegirls Amy and Carly. I highly recommend the movie, but only after you've read the book, of course. But there is a love story involved in the story and as I was watching two young people fall in love on that big screen, I couldn't help but wonder if my version of love is completely skewed. What's great about the story is how real and raw it is, but I realized that I don't even know what the "real" version of love is like.
As all of you know, I've never had a boyfriend, never held hands, nothing. I've been in "like" once and in "love" zero times.
So I decided I'd write what I think love is..and someday, I'm confident that I will find love and tell you that I was all wrong. ;)
Love makes your knees buckle. You see that one person and every part of your soul aches to be with them or near them.
Love is when you care more about that person than anyone else. When you are known as one person instead of two. "Till there's no one left who has ever known us apart."
Love sucks.
It's trusting the other person to make wise decisions when you aren't near them.
It's giving your whole heart to someone and allowing them to treasure it or destroy it.
Love is hard work.
It's like Joseph and Emma. The more pain and sorrow you go through together, the greater capacity you have to love each other.
Love is beautiful. It's calling someone in the middle of the night, just because you need to talk.
It's finding what you love to do together, but making sacrifices so you can each do what you love.
Love is infinite. It never runs out.
Someday I will find someone who I love and who loves me in return. And it will be hard and it will suck, but it will be good. And this wait, this pain of wanting and wishing, will all be worth it. And it will be good.
I wish I'd written something like this that I could look back on now! Not that I'm infinitely wiser or anything - it would be interesting to compare! This is really cool, Emily!
ReplyDeleteI'm not trying to contradict you or tell you something grand about love, but it got me thinking about what think love has become to me! For me, love was (is) contentedness, feeling 100% safe to be as vulnerable and trusting as you want, and most of all just having a bestest buddy who is your favorite person to do things with and tell stories too! And it doesn't suck. Every dating relationship sucks until the one and only time it doesn't - and then you marry that guy! :) And sometimes life can be hard, but that doesn't make your love suck.