Saturday, January 24, 2015

The life.

This week. Whew. Am I glad that it's over! These past few weeks have been incredibly challenging. The beginning of the semester was pretty tough. I became super stressed as I tried to figure out my schedule and get back into the swing of things. After a week, I thought I had it pretty well figured out and then my little world got turned upside down again. I will not go into the details of what happened, mostly because they unimportant. What is impotant, however, are the things I have learned in the past few weeks. God's hand has been very visible in my life. I have been very humbled as He has carried me through these struggles. 

One lesson I have been taught through this experience is a great lesson from Mary, found in Luke 2. You may be familiar with the story of the birth of Christ found in this chapter. My favorite verse is 19 which reads, "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." I love the lesson that this teaches. I love to talk and share all the details of my life with people. The fact that Mary had such a wonderful, marvelous event in her life must have been something that she wanted to talk to so many people about. And yet, she chose to ponder the things in her heart out of love and respect. It shows her faithfulness to God and is a great measure of her character. As I review the events of the past week, I have chosen to set aside many of the details to ponder in my heart. This way they may remain private and between me and my Father in Heaven.

Lesson number two comes from the example of Sariah in 1 Nephi 5. In the beginning of the chapter, it talks about Sariah's suffering in the wilderness. Verse 3 says, "And after this manner of language had my mother complained against my father." Lehi responds in a completely different "manner of language." The scriptures say that he comforts Sariah and after this, she changes her "manner of language" and even goes on to share her testimony. Understading the importance of changing the "manner of language" has been crucial to me this week. It would be so easy to complain or put the blame on other people, but I am striving to watch the manner of language that I use. This way I can uplift myself and those around me.

Last weekend I was able to sing with Latter-Day Voices at a stake conference in the area. The notes I took at that meeting have been an immense blessing and comfort. Some of my favorites include:

- The Lord has made promises to you. Keep doing what you're doing and He will bless you.

- Trials help you help others.

- We have to be obedient and obedience takes work.

I am not 100% back on my game, but that's okay. Because I'm still moving. Even though I feel like I keep getting knocked down, I am so grateful for the knowledge that this is Heavenly Father's way of refining me and making me the best Emily that I can be. 
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I am not lying when I say that I have been carried throught these weeks. If I look a little down when you see me, just know that I'm trying and just give me a hug.
Peace and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment