Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hello Stranger

Dear blogging friends,
I AM ALMOST DONE.
This day has been the weirdest one of my life. All year I wanted nothing more than to be done with high school and get out. But then today was my last time in Seminary. And my last time in Kerry Downs's class. And my last time in choir. And I just cried. What the crap? I hated high school! Why am I crying?

I have a lot of regrets, my friends. Things I should have done, friends I should have made. It sucks. All of the sudden your time is out. You can't say, "Oh, I'll just do that next year," anymore. Next year I'll be in another town, two hours away, in a place where I don't know anyone and they don't know me.

A clean slate is so appealing to me. But so scary too. I can finally work on what is most important in life. ((Heaven only knows what that is))

Soon enough I'll give you updates on everything that has happened in the past few months, but for now I'm going to tell you a little bit about this dance called Spring Fling. ((Yes, I will be venting here))

Once upon a time, choir was in charge of Spring Fling and that meant that Carly and I were in charge of it. Mr. Keyes wanted nothing to do with the planning process and left it to the two of us who were already tired, worn out, and unmotivated. Not a good situation. We did decide on a good theme, had some fun decorations planned, and things seemed to be going alright.

The day before the dance, I was supposed to work at both my jobs. I had hoped that we could rally enough people to help us set up, but such was not the case. I ended up begging to stay home from one job so I could help get the dance set up. ((Yes, I am trying to sound a little bit like a hero here. Get over it.)) Setting up the dance was stressful. People can be very frustrating to work with. The best part about setting up was when Mr. Keyes just left. 20 minutes after we started. Yeah, that's really professional, right? WRONG. Here we were, a group of unsupervised teenagers trying to set up for the dance. So we're working our hearts out and a janitor comes and yells at us. HELLO? So stressful. So frustrating. YOLO.
I had to leave about 30 minutes before we were done setting up so that I could get going to work. At work, I'm texting my date to finalize plans and it turns out that he can't go anymore. It was a mutual agreement, but I started to get a little worried.

The next morning, I find a date, go to a surprise birthday breakfast for my BFF Katie, and then run to a work meeting. All before 10:00. I find a dress, take a nap, do some chores, all that fun stuff.

At 4:00, Carly, Haley, and I were supposed to meet Mr. Keyes at Macey's to pick up the things we needed for the punch. Well, at 4:00, guess who didn't show up? You bet. Mr. Keyes. SO professional. Finally he gets there and is complaining the whole time about how he doesn't want to go to the dance and everything is bad and bla bla bla bla bla. WELL SORRY MR. SASSY PANTS!! ((side note: I understand the complaining part. I didn't want to be there either and it was really stressful, but it's not like we could change the situation at all so...get over yourself.))

We take everything to the school ((after Carly, Haley, and I single handedly put all the groceries in my car. No help from the teacher.)) and put it in the faculty room. Just as we are about to leave, Mr. Keyes says:
"We'd better make a lot of money tonight, because I'm missing my daughter's dance recital tonight."

HELLO???? Guilt trip to the MAX. As if we didn't feel bad enough, he has to drop that one on us. I was so mad.

After that, I was running super behind. I was supposed to start picking people up by the time I left the school and I hadn't done my hair yet. So I hustled my way home, finished getting ready and picked up Makenna, her date, and my date.

The date was so much fun. We went to the Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner and took some pictures at an old train yard.



The dance was a whole different story. Basically it was horrible. I blame the DJ. This particularly annoying group of people ((you know, the popular ones who dance right next to the DJ)) kept moshing. Or at least what we call moshing in Utah. This upset the DJ and he ended up kicking them out. This was a 50-50 good/bad situation. First of all, the DJ was playing music that people were OBVIOUSLY going to mosh to. However, stupid, arrogant teenagers should have stopped the first time. They ended up getting kicked out which is SUPER embarrassing for them. 
Unfortunately, when the popular people leave, everyone leaves. So there I was. Required to stay because I was in charge. 
I was so embarrassed. I have this problem called I worry what people think about me. And all I could hear people saying was, "Man that dance sucked." and it was over my head. MY fault. Poop. 

The worst part was, that everyone left, including half of the choir members who were supposed to stay and help take down the dance. So we had hardly anyone helping at the end of the night which meant it took super long and I was super agitated. 

I'm over it now ((let's be real. in one week I never have to see any of these people again)) but I am still baffled by the situation. GROW UP. 

Be normal. Don't be a brat. 

I can't wait to graduate. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. My heart just shattered for you!! EMILY!! Jeez what turds people can be; that sounds miserable! Guaranteed dashing Michael, aka my little bro's best friend, was super excited to go with you :)
    I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete